Dereham Ladies 1st 2 – 1 Watton

On Wednesday night Dereham Ladies 1st team  welcomed Watton to Greenfields Road for their latest rearranged fixture which was postponed before Christmas.

Dereham came out of the blocks quickly and took the game to Watton with a lot of early sustained pressure. Good work down the left from Charlotte Taylor drove into the D and draw the foul and won a short corner. At the top of the D Nat Grapes fired the ball home into the bottom right to make it 1-0 to the hosts.

Dereham pushed on again and went close moments later when Pip Howes found Ali Waters unmarked on the right and her pass was met by Edie Topping whose reverse stick shot was saved well by the Watton keeper.

After the early dominance in play for Dereham, they only had 1 goal to show for it and this gave Watton something to hang onto as they began to grow into the half themselves. The game now became a battle in the midfield area.

With 10 minutes of the half to go Watton got themselves back into the match when they won a hit just outside the Dereham 23 on the right. Dereham switched off and a lapse in concentration allowed the Watton forward to receive a pass and drive at goal and calmly slot pass Jess in the Dereham goal.

The only other chance of the half fell to Dereham and it came when Nat Grapes found Pip Howes free in the D, but her shot was smothered by a combination of the Watton goalkeeper and defender on the line and the ball was cleared to safety.

It was Watton who had the first chance of the second half as they were awarded a short corner. Jess Nightingale Webb was up to the task from the initial strike but the ball remained in the D. After a brief scramble the ball was cleared by the Dereham defence.

This woke Dereham up and they pushed forward and won a string of short corners, the best coming when Nat Grapes superbly drag flicked but the out stretched keepers stick defected the ball wide when it looked destined for the top corner.

Dereham began to get their passing game going now and when Evie VP linked up with Pip Howes and Evie’s strike at the keeper found Hayley Toleman in front of the keeper but her back flick at goal was saved by the out rushing keeper.

Dereham finally made it 2-1. It came through good work down the Dereham left from Eve Coulet settle whose inch perfect pass down the line found Sarah Dove in space and she drove into the D and slapped the ball across the face of the goal where Hayley Toleman couldn’t quite reach it but behind her was Edie Topping in the right place at the right time once again to tap it into the goal.

Watton had 2 short corners near the end of the game but they came to nothing and Dereham got the 3 points. It wasn’t the finest performance but it was a valuable 3 points and that’s all that counts.

This weekend the ladies have a double header at home where the welcome UEA on Saturday and entertain Ipswich on Sunday